Monday 24 August 2009

The Ashes

It's been decided... England won.. Although it was more of a 'worse than thou' contest this time around... Either team went for bungee jumping with their abilities in tow without tying the rope to their legs on an alternate basis... Panesar took the impact of the first Pommy fall on his turban and thus should be recommended for knighthood...

However, this was supposed to be about something else...

I never really thought about England's one-legged omen for the series until his topless images flashed across newspapers... No you pervs it wasn't the winner of the one-legged hot-bod contest but Flintoff...What a shame that was... Ganguly did well to pay him back in the same coin, that too at Lord's... How the English traditionalists would have squirmed... The rivalry is now being carried forward through Dada's protege, Yuvi in ODIs. Whereas in Test matches, well, Freddie won't play anymore and Yuvi can't... But we digress... I wanted to tell you how much I hated him even an year back but as I saw him leave, everything stood absolved... I could see what he meant to cricket and in some strange way, his leaving Test cricket is something like me leaving my college... In that moment, I could relate to him and everything else was water under the bridge... I really hope he remains a fierce competitor in the shorter formats...

The other person I wanted to write about is Ponting... Now I have seen people who are graceful in victory and defeat and those who are not in either... There also exists a breed who are good winners but rather sour losers... Ponting by far is the strangest... His wins were arrogant, the almost victories a blame-game. But such poise and dignity in the wake of losing the Ashes... Either he has learnt his lessons or he could not find any UFOs to blame, having already blamed everything under the sun... I almost felt I supported the wrong team... But I don't trust the Aussies... They will turn their arrogant selves again once they start winning... So I hope they never really get back to winning even though they deserve to...

3 comments:

Pratik Gupta said...

Dont ever compare ur exit from college with flintoff leaving test cricket..he was a hero and u were....
i guess simply
'janwar' [:)]
Though people will miss you both

Ashtung said...

@punchar: that was the gist...

mohit said...

I must admit that your articles are really interesting to read (though I'm sure you aren't quoting your sources of plagiarized text!) It is really amusing and I've never found such humour in any article written by anyone our age (though truly speaking, anyone our age doesn't write, but what the hell!). I will follow this blog from now on. Keep posting!