Friday 26 September 2008

The Orange Dilemma

Fact 1: Orange juice is my favourite
Fact 2: At most juice shops, I find 'kinnu' masquerading as orange
Fact 3: Kinnu grows only in Ganganagar and nearby areas

I begin... Every time I'm going through a menu to order myself a juice, my eyes pause at orange for a moment and then continue. I almost never order orange juice, though it's my favourite. And no, it's not because it's about Rs. 3 costlier than most other juices.

The story goes like this. My grandpa owns a small piece of land and grows kinnu there. Ever since I was a kid, I have been blissfully enjoying the sourest fruit in the orange family. As I grew up, so did my love for orange/kinnu.

I used to savour the fruit whenever I was home because I was convinced I wouldn't find it anywhere. So I was happily gulping down orange juice in Chennai and sipping on kinnu juice in Ganganagar.

All was going fine until one fateful day, when I noticed a cartoon outside Gurunath, with the words 'King's kinnu' printed on it. The name sounded familiar. I went to have a closer look. To my surprise, it had a Ganganagar address on it. It might very well have been the company my grandpa sells his fruits to, I reasoned. So, by extension, extrapolation and some imagination, I ended up paying for the kinu owned by me. Interesting.

I then started noticing many such boxes all over the place. Result? I no longer order orange juice. Irrational? Imagine you were the CEO of Pepsi. Would ypu ever ever pay for a pepsi?

Narcissist Narmad:

Sweetcarbine: The only selfless love exists between a dog and a man. Not even a woman, cos dogs have been reported to be attracted to them.

No comments: