Saturday 30 January 2010

The 3 idiotic things

Long time since I wrote because it's hard to write long essays on miniscule topics, given my attention span, and as a man not given to hard work, I give it a miss..

What do Americans have against their own culture? My guess is Inferiority complex. So many times have I seen movies where some less educated community is threatened by americans/english and they hit back bravely (except,of course, Bond against the Russians). There was Lawrence of Arabia, The Last Samurai, Dances with the Wolves, some movie on Vietnam, Letters to eo Jhima and now there's the 3D wonder Avatar. Frankly this movie was nothing without the effects. For plot, it had a sad story about how Americans attack Pandora and the native nomads defend their land, referring to earth as a 'dying planet'. I mean, c'mon guys, how much can you hate your own country? I don't think we Indians can stand a movie which portrays us in a bad light. Can we? May be we could tolerate a movie against Indians, but certainly nothing against our caste or community.


Mr. Bhagat, please stop polluting the world. You are a terrible excuse for a writer, you cry like a little girl for credit in a bad movie and you do not look or sound good on TV. As if this all wasn't enough, you are wasting precious newsprint space in TOI every Sunday. But I am not all criticism and can see the silver lining here. It's people like you who give me hope. If you could make a career out of writing, I figure I could become a Test-match batsman or even a Biotech scientist, in spite of the aforementioned span of attention.

That's right, the 3rd point is about that stupid movie. All sorts of thing, good and bad, have been said about the movie and hence all I want to say is, I have seen suicides in my college life but never due to a professor. The reason s always something else. Even in the movie, the Dean didn't anticipate the suicide/attempt and hence it's hardly logical to blame him. And yeah, in real life, the courses or projects aren't so difficult that they push you to such actions. I am a 'living' example, passing with a decent CGPA and a BTP which I finished in under 5 days (although I didn't have a job by the time I left but that blame lies on others and not at all on the prof).


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

agree on most points! specially suicides. The reason is always something else.

Hrishikesh Ranjalkar said...

The message in the movie was anyways lost! As a fun package it was a good one though.

Ashtung said...

@pratyu: even if the reason were acads,can you fault with the prof for not bending rules for one person?

@hrishi: message? what message?

Hrishikesh Ranjalkar said...

Oops... did I say 'message'!

Pratik Gupta said...

" although I didn't have a job by the time I left but that blame lies on others" May i ask who are these others???

Ashtung said...

the 'others' is me mostly...

mohit said...

seems like i finally found some guy on this planet who agrees to what i thibk about the movie. i find it a whole load of bullshit. its ridiculous how it made 250 crore; aamir has made better movies and the world has seen better but less appreciated(even in the same genre). besides all, comparing the numbers to sholay is completely unfair. sholay came in 1975 when people didnt have a B/W TV leave alone a multiplex. it seems like one day, people will look back at this and laugh at themselves for applauding this.

Ashtung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashtung said...

@mohit: u r in wrong company man... i know dozens who didnt like the movie.... n who the hells comparing it to sholay???