Sunday 19 August 2007

The I-Day

I know it's a little too late to write about the Independence day but then, it's IST we follow and to top it all I still dont have a subject to write on. The easiest way out would be to criticise politicians, youth n rue about the present state of things but then every second person you know does that. Next i thought of recalling stuff that makes me proud of my nationality and I found the newspapers flooded with such articles. So what should I write about? I then thought I'll just pick something, write some facts without being judgemental but then I realised I'm not capable of doing that. I have to be on one side or the other.

Going through Vatsap I knew what I could write about. When you hear the national anthem being played, our first thought is to get up and stand in 'attention' and then we realise that this isn't fashionable any more and people will probably laugh at you, forcing yourself to remain as you are. One thing nobody realises that 9 out of 10 around want to get up too but have the same fear as us. Even if we overcome this and be resolute enough to get up, we feel a sense of pride in doing so as we think we have done a part of our duty towards the nation.

This is really funny. We think twice before responding to our national anthem in our country and once done, we are no less proud about having done that.

I'll tell you something that's even funnier. Most of us don't know the meaning of the anthem either. True we can make out that it's glorifying the nation as we can pick the nouns but does any course book anywhere transliterate it into the local language. It's a matter of pride because we are told that it is. 60 years and no one has ever thought about putting at least that in our text-books. Spare a thought. Maybe we won't shy away next time it's being played once we know the meaning.
Let not the stream of reason lose it's way into the dreary sand of dead habit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! just totally!

SDK said...

The thing about not standing up due to fear of being ridiculed by others is so true.

entwined said...

so true...
witnessed it myself..more than jus a few times...
n ya...the national anthem not bein 'explained' to kids has been smthin i've been tryin to figure for long...
those ncert books too seemed obsessed wid gandhi's talisman and the preamble