Thursday 2 August 2007

Oye Freshie!!!

I remember the 1st envelope I received from IITM, the ones foll0owing it hardly memorable, carrying the grade sheet. Well the 1st one carried some papers regarding admission and that GCU introductory booklet. G.C.U. stands for guidance and counselling unit, it proclaimed. A student's body, which makes your entry into the campus smooth and memorable. To be very honest, I didn't get past the 2nd page of it. coming to campus, I discovered their was a whole network of counsellors, coords etc. who talked more and worked less. I don't remember filling any GCU feedback form or attending their programme and so I assume I didn't do either of it. A friend later told me that he had filled it up as negatively as he could and still wasn't contacted. Well I blame that on the inefficiency of a member rather than the unit itself. At this point I can add that neither me, nor my GCU counsellor bothered to see each other. I still don't know who he was.

Fast Forward to 2007. New entrants are being sent a CD showing life in campus, which I'm told, overdoes it and ends up suggesting that we should be introducing ourselves to the freshies. I don't really believe that someone be shown respect just because he was born an year earlier and all the juniors who know me would swear by it but at the same time, 1st 15 days or so are bound to be different as you are beginning a new life and it's the ones around you who are going to matter and they deserve to know a bit about you. I can say by experience and many more can too, that the seniors ragging you most( which ain;t much compared to annny other col) usually turns out to be the most helpful one and in my case, no less than a friend.

This time around, our verrry innovative administration decides to allot hostels by branches and I have no idea if anyone can benefit from it but this ain't the topic and I won't digress from the main subject. Well another brainwave was to start college from 30th, while freshies begin from 2nd. This may be due to some other reasons but I suspect the idea was to get us busy even before the freshies turn up. Result: Parents thronging the campus, with no plans of leaving the campus before the weekend due to which, I have to curb my habit of hurling abuses and roaming in the wing without a tee. I'm not against parents coming to the place to settle their child, mine did too, but a week? The scene at Gurunath might as well have been the same at a boarding school canteen but this is a College and half the kids are adults already and now with the GCU spoon-feeding and protecting them against their seniors then why worry. I know he's your aankhon ka taara madam, but we aren't exactly butchers. Like your child, we too have cleared JEE and we too were once as ignorant and shy as him and in most cases know our limits and honestly if he can't bear an IITian's ragging, the real world is far worse. On a more conceited note, you should thank us for teaching your son all about sex, who at 18, should already have known., which is, by the way, not the only teaching we impart. He will also learn to at least give company to boozers and smokers.

P.S. : Politics is an elective here with every hostel having at least 2 seasoned profs.

No comments: