Tuesday 27 March 2007

Of DAs n' MACHAs

I knew about the nick- tradition prevailing in IITs before coming to the city, and I could reason that a few people may share the same nick. During my 1st day, I got confused. I just could not imagine how could so many students end up having a common nick. How could the seniors do that? Did they not anticipate the confusion it may create? We are supposed to be smart, and this seemed to me, a foolish act. I figured that if I go to a small group and call out that name, at least one will respond.

I was reminded of the old Hindi film, Angoor, which has 2 pair of actors sharing the same name. It is, I know a plot 'inspired' by the 'comedy of errors' but i speak of it because I found it more hilarious than the original. However, I was enjoying the comparisons which my (oh so) ignorant mind was busy drawing. My brain said, if 2 guys sharing the same name can give a classic and a hit, I have no doubt struck gold, or platinum. Uranium maybe?

My heart told me I am going to be rich. Chuck the studies, concentrate on the namesakes. Live out the 4 years, write truckloads of comedies of error or make a garden of Angoor. As i was busy counting my chickens, I heard the name again. I looked at the direction of the source. Hell broke loose when I realised that he was addressing none other than me. Keeping my cool, and gathering some courage, I went over to the senior and told him, " I haven't been nicked yet. DA is not my nick."

I hardly need to tell you how my air-castle fell and how the eggshells cracked, leaving behind no chicken to count upon.

Though it takes a lot of neck-twisting,I have turned a deaf ear to my heart ever since.

1 comment:

Arpit said...

speaking of nicks.. guess it shouldnt be too difficult to figure out who i am from this comment, DA??? Or is it MACHA now, ashu/beggi/.......?? :D