Friday 2 October 2009

Gandhi, I and Autos

Gandhi Jayanti is just to get this one rolling. When it comes to Gandhi, I have read his autobiography but cannot understand him. I have played his assassin in a monoacting bit from the anti-Gandhi play, 'Me Nathuram Godse Boltoy', with which I didn't agree one bit, but I still don't have an opinion. Sure he was a great man and stood for independence, a cause very dear to me, but he is difficult to relate to and much more difficult to follow. Perhaps my horizons of wisdom are not vast enough to comprehend his ideas.

Anyhow, this post is about an incident which wasn't exactly non-violent.

My partners in crime were 2 close buddies. These friends will henceforth be called I and I because calling them S and A will confuse that paltry lot of readers who better know them by their nicknames, which begin with I and I respectively.

One fine evening, as I was whiling away time on my computer, I buzzed me to ask if I wanted to watch Dev D. "I thought you'd never ask" I replied. I then dashed to I's room to convince him to tag along. Cutting short the chase, as I was haggling with an autowallah who was demanding Rs. 120, I had managed to find one who agreed to go for Rs. 60 to Woodlands.

This man took us to the Woodland restaurant while it was explained to him in no uncertain terms that our desired destination was Woodlands Theatre. So as he dropped us their, I gave him a Rs. 100 note and streched my palm for 40 in return. I was as surprised as me when the Autowallah returned Rs. 20. I, by the time, was already fuming due to the delay. Hence began the so very common sight of north Indian students haggling with an Autowallah in Chennai. This time around though, the mood was different. I was frustrated of being mooched of for 3 years by them. I had a strong desire to beat someone up and I was low on cash and wanted his 20 bucks.

So as the Autowallah was about to pull the lever in a bid to scurry off, I stomped on the lever. This made him very angry and he gave me a push. As if waiting for something like this, I twisted his hand as I caught him by his neck. I was now happily texting off a girl about this as I and I roughed him up.

Unlike Devdas the story has a happy ending as Abhay Deol tries to get his life back on track and doesn't die.

And oh, we got our 20 bucks back which we gave to the auto we came back in as he requested for it.

PS: I had claimed that the bone of contention was Rs. 20 but I pointed out that it was Rs. 10. So it would have cost each of us Rs. 3.33 to let go of the Autowalla. Cheap Bastards, aint we?

16 comments:

Sass said...

god, save the autowallahs in bangalore

Apurv said...

Too many I's... didn't spoil the show! I believe the "I" who was texting his girl-friend was you, but who were the other two I's? I am so proud of them for doing that.

Ashtung said...

@sass: i have a bike... don't worry...

@apurv: u didnt know??? the othr 2 Is are IP (Sajal) and Item (Achal)...and yes... 'I' was the one who was texting but I was the one who put his foot down on that lever too... which I wudnt have done had the 2 'mushtande' not been around...

Ashtung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vindhya said...

your blog was worth the read even without borrowing the Gandhi banner. :P
non-violence is a highly application specific, tedious, highend technology, autowalla(khas kar chennai ke) cases don't get to subscribe! :)
i might have done the same, break a leg, tooth, or nail even...for the added entertainment value.

kay gee said...

haha! nice
so sass was texting away while you guys were beating him up?

Ashtung said...

@VIndhya: Apart from respecting Gandhi, we also had the good sense of not going too far, lest a hoard of them turns up and turns the table on us... and frnakly, were half expecting the aforementioned hoard to be waiting for us outide the theater when we walked out...

@KG: sass wasnt around man... I dared not do that to him... U'd know if u had to attend classes with him..

Sass said...

cha, i missed this confrontation.. it was a classic!! nd the I keeps bragging about it even till this day..

Ashtung said...

@KG: I, I and I were I, IP and Achal/Achhu respectively...

@Sass: correction... I don't 'keep' bragging about it and neither did i intend to write about it.. I was just trying out different things by using 3 Is which, incidentally, has gone unnoticed... I guess a new concept should only be used to present a boring story if it needs to be noticed...

Unknown said...

so ure sayin now..tht the whole gandhi/auto brawl blog thing was abt the I's.Anyways its a mighty lucky thing u blokes dint get smashed to bits by autowallahs after ur movie.....interesting....good stuff... :)

Tangerine said...

haha! good for you!

Indian autowalas are a race on its own!!!

the third I said...

@sass: I never bragged about the whole thing or at least never started the discussion. It was the first I who hyped the incident, much for his own delight but ya... chennai autowallas deserve a bit more !

Ashtung said...

@sass: ohh... so it was'the third I' u were referring to.. well he earned the right to brag...

@'the third I': clever name u picked but ever tried taking ur tongue out a lil bit and making the phrrrr sound??? I am doing exactly that at that name u picked, Achhu... n i sneezed jus now.. Achhu..n again.. achhu,achhu, achhu

Ashtung said...

@merin: u shud know... if it were bout bragging, this wud have come out long back... n yeah.. i might consider myself lucky...

@Tangy: Vindhya's comment puts it perfectly

Anonymous said...

I tend not to drop a ton of remarks, but i did some searching and wound up
here "Gandhi, I and Autos". And I do have a few questions for you if you usually do
not mind. Is it simply me or does it look like a
few of the responses appear as if they are coming from brain dead people?

:-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I'd like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Would you list of all of your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Here is my web site ... gauba
my site > gabba

Ashtung said...

@Anonymous: Well, the people u called 'brain dead' are friends and smarter than most in the country. They perhaps appear so because u r unable to fully comprehend the gist of their comments. Anyway, if it were a cheap gimmick to land me on a website of yours, u have failed there too. Learn to write man.