Friday 19 March 2010

RR Tragedy

I am sick of the IPL.

I love cricket and IPL but only when India and RR respectively are winning (Although I don't mind India winning the IPL or the RR winning a Test-match for that matter). But RR have now hit rock-bottom and I am glad I didn't go to watch the RR v/s RCB live last night. I'm sure I would have ended up in a Police Station on charges of assaulting Lumb or Martyn. I know my anger should be directed at those who bought them. But Warne got us the cup first up and Shilpa Shetty is ummm, well, Shilpa Shetty.

It all started with the typical 'bania' strategy they applied during the auction. Buying fringe-players cheaply worked once. But it did not in SA and doesn't seem to be working now. Add to that Smith's fingers. Dude, what's up with those. Seems like God decided to have a laugh by replacing a bull's horns with carrots. Not cool. Please take good care of them. Shilpa Shetty can advise you on the finer nuances of a manicure.

Then there's the not-so-curious, but sad enough case of Jadeja. He has now successfully proved that he's equally bad at switching franchisees as he is at switching ends while batting. Apart from an unconvincing win the other night, things look quite dismal for RR, unless...

Unless. That's the word the hopelessly optimistic (notice the oxymoron?) RR fan in me keeps muttering. Unless the team regroups. Unless Martyn sheds the artistry of a young Martyn and plays like an old Kallis. Unless Shaun Tait plays starts bowling like Maurice Tate. Unless Pathan remains Pathan in every match. Unless the shrewd Warney is 'setting-up' the other teams in to complacency and will bowl them around, over and between the legs now.


PS: Saturday's win gave me some hope but it's still a long way to go.

No comments: