Thursday 8 November 2007

Agni-Pareeksha

The war has ended. Ravan and his loyal kin attained martyrdom. Martyrdom, because they stood with unquestionable pride and dignity, till they fell. Martyrdom, because they upheld Ravan's pride as their own and fought, knowing that they will die. Celebrations abound in the victor's camp, as the Vanar sena enjoys the sweet joy of victory.

Today, Vibhishan, who deserted his brother to side by 'Dharma', has been declared the king, and has married Ravan's devoted wife, Mandodari. The vanar-sena is celebrating and so are their commanders. One soul though, in spite of being rescued, is crying out for justice, for due respect and for wisdom. The following piece is the speech that I imagine Sita delivers.

Today is the day for 'agni-pareeksha'. I am expected to prove that my character is still as pure. I am left with no choice but to walk on burning coal, to convince the world that I was faithful to my duties as a wife. All the honored, wise and respectable men present here believe that this is just.

A woman who shuns all royal luxuries to be with her husband in his exile, immediately after marriage, is required to prove that she is indeed worthy of him.

Oh wise Jambvan! You are a sage who can tell right from wrong. Why can you not see it today? Has your wisdom been blinded by Ram's aura? Sugreev, vanar king! Why are you silent? You did not ask your wife to tread over fire after you won her back from Bali. Oh mighty Hanuman! You call me your mother. You slit your chest apart to show that your heart had Him and me in it. But then, why do you not speak against the insult inflicted on me. Garud, your brother died trying to save me. Should you not save me from this shame?

My brother-in-law, Lakhman! You liken me to your mothers. Would you let this happen to any of your three mothers? You stood against your father's order to send us into exile. Should you not stand against the court today? When Ram found my earring, you said you could not recognize it because you have always only seen my feet. Can you, then, bear to see these feet treading over smoldering coal?

Ram. Oh, my husband Ram! 'Maryada Purushottam Ram'! What do I ask of you? If you were not sure of it, then why did you even wage this war? I reckon it was about the pride of your dynasty rather than my honour.

I shall still endure this and forgive you all. This is my destiny. I shall come out unharmed and then will have to go into exile again because of a washer man’s sarcasm. The woman will never be accepted in Ayodhya, but her sons will be. My name will always be remembred with the Man who, for me, fought an army but could not fight off questions on my character.

No comments: