Thursday 1 November 2007

The Note

I know each of us cribs about the same problem, " I tend to spend the cash when I have it." What I have witnessed over the last month, is quite the contrary.

For a good part of the past month, my friends have been feeding me at Gurunath, paying for the usual tea and occasional puff. It's not that I was broke or that they were generous, neither had they lost a bet to me. In fact, they held out the Rs. 5 coin rather reluctantly.

It so happened that during this time, people who I had lent money to, decided they shall clear it all in the same month. Now the amounts we are talking about here were multiples of 500 and were returned in the notes carrying the same or higher denomination. Once in my wallet, I could say that I had cash but was understandably reluctant to get it changed for lower value notes for a Rs. 5 tea. Also, since I had at least one such note in my wallet always, I found it only reasonable that I do not withdraw any more money from the ATM.

It was not like I did not spend a penny during this period. I did buy some stuff, went home and came back. I was bound to deal with smaller notes. But once those got exhausted and the big ones alone were left, the same stream of logic resumed.

No matter how tempted I was to keep it going, it had to end sometime, just like the blog. Running out of options and patience, I finally changed one to smaller value ones.

P.S. :I thank all those who paid for me, sometimes reluctantly though, over this period. At the same time I wish to let you know that although you have been generous to me, do not expect me to return the favour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NOTE the advantage! ;)